The best way to advertise your available property is dependent upon what the people in the area in which you own property generally refer to when looking for housing. Your landlord/property manager should consider all available advertising options when considering how to attract the best potential tenants, including:
- Checking out the local competition by reviewing current rental listings in the surrounding neighborhood
- Placing a ‘For Rent’ sign in the window of the available unit to attract any potential renter searching for housing in the area in which he/she would like to live,
- Advertising on Rental Websites such asRentals.com, RentMarketer.com, RentBeep.com, and Craigslist
- Listing your rental property in the local newspaper – there are still many people who use the newspaper to search for
- Letting your other residents know of the upcoming rental and reward them financially for successfully referring a new tenant.
- Use your own social media network: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
If your rental is close to a college or university, check with the educational institution as to whether or not they accept available housing listings. Such institutions often have separate housing listings for students vs. faculty and staff.
Finally, once you locate a tenant, make a note of how he/she found out about the unit, and be sure to note it down for future rental reference.